National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) for Students
Espaņol (Spanish)
Skip Navigation
HomeAidEnrollmentSubsidized UsageYour Contact InfoExit CounselingAuthorizationGlossaryFAQs Contact Us

Information About My Loans and Grants

Where does my student aid information come from?
The loans and grants listed on this web site have been reported from different sources. In general, the agency that authorized the aid award is responsible for reporting aid information to NSLDS. Stafford loans are reported by guaranty agencies, Direct loans are reported by the federal loan servicer, Perkins loans are reported by schools (or their agent), and grants are reported by the U.S. Department of Education's Common Origination and Disbursement System. FFEL Program loans purchased by the U.S. Department of Education are reported by federal loan servicers.

How current is this information?
Grant information is reported to NSLDS daily. New loans are reported to NSLDS within 30 days of receipt of funds. If you have been making payments on a loan, the outstanding principal balance listed by NSLDS may be as much as 120 days old. You can contact the loan servicer for more up-to-date balance information.

Who has access to this information?
Federal privacy laws protect this information. The only people who can access NSLDS are those individuals that need the information to calculate your future aid eligibility, or to resolve questions about your loans or grants on a need-to-know basis.

How do I grant a lender or lender servicer access to view my student aid information on the NSLDS Professional Access web site?
You can contact the current lender or current lender servicer directly and ask for their Organization Code. Then choose the Authorization option on NSLDS and enter the six-digit number as the Organization Code. This authorization is only valid for up to 60 days.

What do I do if my loan data is incorrect?
NSLDS is a repository of information received from data providers (schools, loan servicers, lenders and guaranty agencies) regarding student loan information. If you detect inaccurate information, you may first contact the data provider (identified on NSLDS) to ensure the incorrect information is updated on their system as well as on the NSLDS system. For corrections to Federal Direct Loans (DL) you can contact the federal loan servicer; for corrections to Federal Family Education Loans (FFEL) you can contact the guaranty agency or federal loan servicer; for Perkins loans you can contact the school. In the event your attempts to amend the information by contacting the holder of the loan prove to be unsuccessful, you have the option of contacting NSLDS and amending the records directly at the following address:

Director, National Student Loan Data System, FSA,
U.S. Department of Education, UCP,
830 First Street, NE.,4th Floor,
Washington, DC

How can I get the latest balance information?
You can call the current loan servicer. If one is not listed, then contact the lender.  Some servicers have web sites that can give you current account information. When available, we have provided links to their sites.

What does loan status mean?
The loan status code reflects the loan servicer’s current disposition for collecting the loan. If you are currently in school or in your grace period, your loan is in deferred status, and you do not have to make payments. Other loan statuses reflect loans that are in repayment, default, or have been cancelled.

Where are the loans from my medical/nursing programs? Where is my work-study award?
NSLDS has information only on Title IV loans and grants. Nursing and medical loans are part of the Federal government’s Title VII programs and are not reported to NSLDS. You can review your promissory note to determine if it is a Title IV loan. Work-study awards are administered with Title IV funds by the schools and are not reported to NSLDS. Contact your school for questions regarding your work-study award.

Where are my parent's PLUS loans?
The only loans that are listed are those for which you are responsible for repaying. PLUS loans taken out by your parents on your behalf are not legally your responsibility. Your parents may review their PLUS loans by entering the web site using their own FSA ID.

My school says I'm not eligible for additional aid due to an overpayment.
You can check with the financial aid office listed on the reported overpayment.

Where do I fulfill my Loan Exit Counseling requirement?
Loan Exit Counseling is located on the Department of Education's web site. Click on Exit Counseling and then click the Go button under Loan Exit Counseling to take you from the NSLDS Student Access web site to, where you can fulfill your Loan Exit Counseling requirement.

Where do I fulfill my TEACH Grant Exit Counseling requirement?
TEACH Grant Exit Counseling is located on the Department of Education's web site. Click on Exit Counseling and then click the 'Go' button under TEACH Grant Exit Counseling to take you from the NSLDS Student Access web site to, where you can fulfill your TEACH Grant Exit Counseling requirement.

End of Page